“Terracotta of c.1888 on the wide archway on the low extension to the pub that looks over Putney Bridge approach; possibly Doulton, though Fulham was full of potteries at the time.
425, New Kings Road, Fulham, SW6.”
“The Fulham Pottery was founded in Fulham, London, by John Dwight in 1672, at the junction of New King’s Road and Burlington Road, Fulham, not far from Putney Bridge. Dwight is the earliest clearly documented maker of stoneware in England, although immigrant Dutch or German potters were probably active several decades before. By 1690 there was a rival stoneware operation in Fulham, run by the Dutch Elers brothers, who after a few years went off to become important early figures in transforming the Staffordshire pottery industry.
In its first years it was a pioneering force in English pottery in several respects, in particular salt-glazed wares and figures. After Dwight’s death in 1703 the pottery made less ambitious stonewares until a revival in the later 19th century. It operated on the same site until 1956, and then until at least the 1980s as a base for studio pottery to be fired. Today, all that remains of the original pottery is one large bottle kiln, “probably 19th-century”, which is now a Grade II listed building.
From the earliest days, the pottery was a significant manufacturer of salt-glazed stoneware, initially brown, and later white; often the two glaze colours were combined in different zones. Dwight was a very early experimenter with porcelain, approaching the matter scientifically, keeping records of his trials. Dwight’s background was not in pottery; he had a Master of Arts degree from Oxford University, and worked as an assistant to Robert Boyle in the later 1650s.
John Doulton, founder of the later Doulton & Co. (now Royal Doulton) finished an apprenticeship there in 1815, as “a noted big ware thrower”; he went on to found his own firm in Lambeth and make a fortune supplying Victorian England with drain and sewage pipes. Fulham continued to produce wares, but had “nearly fallen into ruin” by 1864, when it was bought by C.J.C. Bailey, who revived it, making architectural ceramics in stoneware, and also following Doulton’s in making some art pottery from the late 1860s. The pottery changed hands again in 1888, and was soon mainly making salt-glazed stoneware again, which continued until 1956. The pottery continued to fire pieces of studio pottery, and in the 1980s produced a number of pieces with Quentin Bell, Philip Sutton and others.”