“Prominent and highly decorative corner pub erected in 1896 to designs by architects W G Shoebridge & Lewis for Mr Charles Ford replacing an earlier building. Original billiard room to rear still survives.”
It appears the bar of the former billiard room was sacrificed for the modern kitchen/servery, which unfortunately had just lost its caterers when I visited.
Behind the pub, facing William Street, is what looks like a former stable.
From the London Pubology blog:
“This Victorian corner edifice dates from 1891, at a time when rebuilding pubs in ever more imposing and sumptuous forms was at its height. Like any of these pubs…it would once have been split into at least two (but probably more) internal rooms with names like the Public Bar and Saloon Bar,
perhaps a Ladies Bar, a Tap Room or a Jug & Bottle (for off-licence beer sales). There’s still a sense of that division in the narrow passage between the front and rear spaces of the pub and their separate bar areas. However, as with most other pubs of the era, partitioning walls and doors have long since been removed in the modernising zeal of the mid- to late-20th century.”
From: Victorian Pubs (1984), by Mark Girouard:
“…Shoebridge and Rising, another and more prolific firm with a line in pubs, were in a similar bracket, and when Henry Whitebridge Rising, who seems to have been the dominant member of the partnership, died in 1937 his obituary in the RIBA Journal was a full one. He was born in 1857, was articled in Lowestoft, worked for eighteen months with a builder studying joinery and set up his own practice in 1887. About 1896 he went into partnership with W. G. Shoebridge. In 1900 he married Catherine Gandy, the great-niece of Soane’s pupil J. M. Gandy. He moved to Reading in I9I0 as a partner in Albury, Rising and Morgan, and ended up in retirement as librarian to the Reading Architectural Society.
Rising designed churches in Bristol, Wolverhampton and outer London, but the principal item in the list of his buildings given in his obituary is ‘many works for the Cannon Brewery’. From other sources these are known to include the King William IV (pictured), Leyton High Street (1897), the Boleyn, Barking Road (1899-1900), and the Crown, Cricklewood Broadway (1899). These are stylistically so similar to the Rising Sun, Euston Road (1899), the Black Horse, Catford (c. 1898), the Great Northern Railway Tavern, Hornsey (1897), and the Red Lion, Whitehall (c. 1896), all Cannon Brewery houses, that there is little doubt that Shoebridge and Rising did all the architectural work for ‘that enterprising firm’ in their campaign of buying, rebuilding and refurbishing pubs during the 1890s.”