From L. B. HAMMERSMITH & FULHAM CONSERVATION AREA No. 44 CHARACTER PROFILE:
“5.30 This is a large impressive group of five adjoining mansion blocks on the corner of Queen Caroline Street and Sussex Place that form the north western gateway to the conservation area. They are included in the Council’s local list of Buildings of Merit. The buildings were built between 1897 and 1900, in the grounds of College House, a Georgian building now demolished. They are of five storeys, basements and attics, brown brick with stone cills and string courses, and massive brick chimney stacks with terracotta pots. They have steep slate roofs with overhanging eaves, and a corner octagonal turret with a tall slate spirelet roof with eaves brackets. On 3 December 1940 the buildings suffered bomb damage at the rear and on the Queen Caroline Street frontage requiring substantial restoration.
5.31 The main elevation onto Sussex Place has more elaborate detailing than the others. At roof level is a symmetrical brick and stone feature of paired sashes in a gable, flanked by sashes with pediments, all surmounted by ball finials. This elevation also has delicate stone oriel windows on the first and second floors in place of the larger brick bays from basement to second floors on the Queen Caroline Street elevation. All are surmounted by open loggia with Tuscan columns and entablature at third floor level, the cornice of which continues around the buildings. The original basement area railings, third floor balcony and turret balcony railings largely remain intact. The entrance doors are reached via a flight of steps and heavy round headed stone porches supported on either side by groups of four tiny Tuscan columns.
5.32 Unfortunately, since 1973 three of the loggia have been removed, as has the balcony railing and supporting brackets around the third floor of the corner turret. Also two balconies now have plainer replacement railings. These changes have detracted from the overall quality of the buildings and the reinstatement of missing details would be encouraged.”