Shown: memorial tablet in All Saints Church, Kingston upon Thames.
The Topographical History of Surrey (1844) terms this “The old Church at Kingston, which is one of the largest in Surrey”. It goes on:
“Immediately in front of the communion table, is a capacious Vault belonging to one of the oldest and most respectable families in Kingston, namely, that of Roots, which has been located here for two hundred years. In this vault lie the remains of GEORGE ROOTS esq. M.D., who died on the 29th of October, 1830, in the eighty sixth year of his age, beloved and respected by all that knew him; after having been in the full and skilful exercise of his profession in this town and neighbourhood for more than sixty years. Also, Ann his wife, of the Shuckburgh family, a lady of great personal attraction and rare talents, who died on the 11th of June, 1835, aged ninety two. In the early part of her education she had the advantage of receiving instruction in the classics from her father’s intimate friend and associate, Dr. Samuel Johnson; and her subsequent conduct through life exemplified the fact, that superior mental acquirements, even in the female sex, tend only to enhance the value of domestic worth.”
Carole Reeves, Outreach Historian at the Wellcome Trust Centre for the History of Medicine, writes:
“Members of the Roots family came to England with William of Orange in 1688 (the name was originally de Rutz), and settled in Kingston. The Shuckburghs were also an old family, one member being Master of the Kings Buck Hounds under Henry VIII, a circumstance that apparently explained the adoption of the hunting horn as the family crest.”.
The entry adds that in the same vault lie the remains of the eldest son of George and Ann, George Roots (died aged 58, in October, 1831); also those of Mary, wife of Wm. Roots, esq., M.D. “She died on the 11th of October, 1842, to the great regret of all who had the pleasure of her acquaintance, and the irreparable loss of her disconsolate family.”.
A footnote records: “Entombed in the same vault are, also, the remains of some younger branches of the family, namely, Astley, Arthur, and William, the three sons of Sudlow Roots, esq. of this place, who were prematurely cut off in June 1839, within a few days of each other.”.
An online search suggests that Cecilia Roots (1810-58), nee Bligh, became the wife of William Sudlow Roots (1805-76). They had five children: Lucy (1845-87), who became the wife of Colonel John Delves Broughton (1836-90) on 15th April, 1876; Astley William; William H; Arthur; and Isabella.
The Medico-Chirurgical Transactions of October 1860 show William Sudlow Roots, F.L.S., Fellow elected 1829, as Surgeon to the Royal Establishment at Hampton Court.
The 1844 History of Surrey 3(1) records under Kingston Hundred:
“CANBURY HOUSE is the old family residence of Sudlow Roots, esq.
Nearly adjoining is SURBITON HOUSE, now in the possession of Alex. Raphael, esq.
Near the Richmond entrance to the town is the very elegant Villa of Gen. Sir John Delves Broughton, (the 7th baronet of his family).