“William Edward Riley (1852 – 9 November 1937) was a British architect. He was born in Yorkshire and educated at Batley Grammar School, with stays in France and Italy. He was articled with William Critchley in Wakefield in 1868. He was there five years, and moved to work with Beck and Lee of Finsbury. In 1877 he joined the staff of the Director of Engineering and Works of the Admiralty. He remained here until 1899, rising to the rank of Assistant Director. He was in charge of works in Chatham and Devonport, among other places, Bermuda, Malta.
In 1899, Thomas Blashill, originally from the Metropolitan Board of Works, retired from the post of chief architect to London County Council. Blashill had built the department from scratch, developing the Housing of the Working Classes Branch in response to the Housing of the Working Classes Act 1890. W. E. Riley was appointed as his successor, with the official title of Superintending Architect of Metropolitan Buildings and Architect to the London County Council.
Riley was an accomplished artist and served on the council of the Royal British Colonial Society of Artists, being elected in 1922 as the representative of Royal Institute of British Architects. He was a member of the Royal Society of Artists, and was said to spend most of his spare time painting. Riley died on 9 November 1937 in Blackheath.”
From the Historic England entry:
“1913. Red brick with stone dressings and stone to ground floor. Tiled roof. 5 storeys including dormers in mansard roof. 7 windows wide with extension to south. Almost symmetrical. Ground and first floors united by giant arcade. Main cornice above 2nd floor, with subsidiary one above 3rd floor. To left and right 2 storey stone pavilions break forward. Tall slab chimneys.