Above: the nearest property pictured is No.18.
From a Draft Chapter 11 of the Survey of London:
“Shops in Lavender Place (demolished)
Development of the Beaufoy estate began in the autumn of 1878, when Joseph Langley Jones seems to have begun turning the five old houses of Lavender Place into a proper terrace of shops. Now numbered 2–18 Lavender Hill, Lavender Place has a complicated history.
As originally built up in the early nineteenth century it was entirely in Clapham, a line of mostly semi-detached houses extending from the present 12 Lavender Hill to a beerhouse called the Crown and Anchor in what is now Wandsworth Road.
About 1864 it was cut in two by the formation of Queenstown Road, its name thereafter applying to the larger (Lavender Hill) portion only. In the late 1860s it was extended by the building of a house and pub (the Beaufoy Arms) on the Townsend estate, just over the parish boundary in Battersea, and renumbered.
A further addition was made about 1880, when 14 Lavender Hill was built by Jones over the former entrance to the estate, matching in scale and slightly out-doing in style its Townsend neighbours. This was initially numbered 2A Lavender Place and in 1881, when it was occupied by a hosier, was also called Osborne House.
From being a string of lowly buildings on a lonely stretch of highway, Lavender Place had become a valuable property at a fairly important crossroads, and part of a line of commercial development leading on towards Clapham Junction. Later the parish line was altered, bringing the corner of Lavender Hill and Queenstown Road wholly into Battersea.
Of the original houses, nothing is now evident, but 12 Lavender Hill survived into the present century, with a rendered front and pantiled roof. The house was rebuilt, with an additional floor, in 2006, when Nos 8 and 10 were also raised in height and the three given a unified front.
No. 2, of three storeys, was badly damaged in 1950 through a tram crashing into it, and rebuilt. The house seems to have been built by Joseph Langley Jones in 1886, replacing the old cottage originally numbered 6 Lavender Place; the contrast between its plain, old-fashioned exterior
and the earlier, fancier façade of No. 14 is perhaps symptomatic of reduced expectations about the estate’s potential.
The angled south end of the new Beaufoy Road
cut through the former gardens of Lavender Place,
leaving enough space for building a row of small lock-up shops at the back of 4–8 Lavender Hill,
numbered 1A, 2A and 3A Beaufoy Road.
They proved suitable for such businesses as a fried-fish shop, a haircutter’s, a boot repairer’s and (the tiny building at the back of No. 4) a china shop.
Later shops here included butcher’s, draper’s, confectioner’s and tailor’s shops, an off-licence, and branches of the boot-&-shoe makers Freeman Hardy Willis and (at No.4) the grocer David Greig.”